Sunday, September 20, 2015

Processing - Data visualization and basic learning, Participatorydesignand HCI


My programming class this week has been focused on learning the basics of Processing. I have been following some tutorials and reading the course manual. I am learning that the software can be used for Data Visualizations (see video below) for creating works of art, interactive installation and so much more. I am learning the basic language and since  the program is designed for creative people who dont have a background in computer science, the materials and tutorials are at a very simple level. I was following a tutorial with my nine year old, who promptly stole my laptop and started coding along with the video at his own accord. :)

I was able to view my instructor's art piece called "Disturbed System". See her website here. It was a cool interactive piece created from a 3D printer, that can be manipulated by the audience to create sound scapes. Pic is below!

I have been learning about the role of social behavioral pshycology in creating participatory design methods in Architecture. I am discovering that the role "community engagement" plays in architecture is slightly different than the role it plays in Computer Science. In software design there is an emphasis on testing. The focus around the end user involves testing the design in controlled settings to ensure it is having the desired affect. In Architecture it has come to mean that the end user actually  helps design, which can be helpful in some cases, but ends up being problematic in others. It results in jaded architects who are frustrated that their skills are being superseded by an untrained public, and a public, in turn, who feels the designers are not listening to them. Overall I think the inquiry of designers to truly figure out user needs, be able to test, analyze and present results would help.

That's it for this week!

Have a good day!

Angie

great Processing tutorial
http://hello.processing.org/editor/

Processing in Data Visualization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lRLA_Vn7o

Great Article on Participatory Design and its history
http://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/bitstream/handle/2152/28277/SpinuzziTheMethodologyOfParticipatoryDesign.pdf?sequence=2







No comments:

Post a Comment